Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What to Wear : 21st birthday party

Question
Hello, I have 21st birthday party to attend, I have got a red velvet dress to wear that sits just below the knee, I rarely get dressed up and I am unsure what sort of shoes to wear and unsure to go for a red or black pair. I am 5'3 and a uk size 12

Answer
Hi Anna,
Thank you for your question.

Personally, I prefer matching shoes to the dress. BUT from my experience, red will be quite difficult to match. If you can match them properly, then the red will be perfect. While you are out shopping, bring your dress with you so can hold up your shoe against the fabric of your dress. Wear nude hose with red shoes. Wear neutral jewelry and accessories with this combination. No more red is necessary.

Black, of course, is a nice alternative. Black looks best with deep reds, ruby red, or claret. Also if your hair is black, go with black shoes. Your hair is part of your outfit, too! Wear black hose with black shoes.

If the color of your dress is more of an apple red or tomato red,  you should consider a shoe in a brown tone, such as chocolate or even nude. If your hair is blonde, go with the nude. If your hair is brown, go with a chocolate or tan shoe.

In addition, to shoe color,you will want to match your accessories to your hair color: gold, silver, pearls etc., with blonde hair, bronze or copper colors with brown hair, and black jewelry if you have black hair. If you are wearing a dress with a lot of color, you want to avoid wearing red accessories, as it can be a bit overwhelming. 

So as an example, let's say you have brown hair.
My choice would be:
Red dress
Bronze jewelry and clutch
Tan or cocoa shoes (suede)

I am including a picture of a top with the color I would choose for this ensemble.

Let me know what you think! Also feel free to resend your question with your actual hair color and I will analyse it with your red dress!

GG Flower

Bookmark and Share

No comments: