Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What to Wear : Body Type Curvy

Question
I am getting so frustrated.  Every time I find a company that supposedly makes "curvy" pants, they turn out to be for plus-sized women who are not as curvy as I am.  My proportions are 39-30-43 and I'm 5'7".  I realize that technically makes me a pear.  But all advice for pears seems to be geared toward someone with a much smaller bust.  Nothing seems to account for such extreme proportions.  I had pants taken in once.  They were already supposed to be a "woman's" cut but two belt loops actually had to be removed.  I don't think this would work if pockets were involved.  Any advice or guidance in finding clothes that fit (especially pants) would be much appreciated.

Answer
Hi  Jennifer,
Actually you have one  of the most feminine figures, its called the hourglass figure, meaning you have a bust! and before everyone wanted to look like sticks, everyone wanted an hourglass figure. Most of us still want to look like women!

I know it is frustruating looking for clothes for the womanly figure. It seems to me that the sizes in the teens are too small and the sizes over 18 are gigantic.

My suggestion to you: find a good tailor. Have your pants made by a tailor who understands all the various parts of a good pair of pants. For your jeans, you might be able to find  something in a men's style...they usually have many more sizes to choose from. Ever noticed that they have pants that have 2 sizes on them, one for the waist and one for the lenght. Also, men's shirts have two sizes also, for a better fit, one for the neck size and one for the arm size, resulting in 100s of combinations.  Unfortunately, womens wear manufacturers  think we are all shaped the same and therefore the sizes are all the same proportions, as you have noticed.

I hope you can find someone who can make something in a good fit. Have pants made in the neutral colors, biege, tan, off-white, black grey for instance, then your tops will probably not be too hard to match...

Best wishes,
Let me know how this sounds to you!
GG Flower
Bookmark and Share

No comments: